Skip to main content

Routine vs Ritual- How to Be Spontaneous and Stable

Many of us have an idea in our heads of what 'having your life together' looks like. That being said, many of us also think that having a good routine, and sticking to it, is necessary to feel like you have it all together. This is something I have struggled with greatly, as I have discovered I am not too fond of routine. I have gone through trial and error, creating and breaking several different routines that were supposed to help me 'get my life together'. What I've discovered lately is that having a routine is not necessary- it's having rituals that really matters.

You can have rituals without enforcing them in a strict routine. For example, I wanted to make a routine of going to the gym. Therefore, last week, I woke up early and went to the gym at the same time all week. It helped me to feel accomplished, but I quickly got tired of it and didn't want to go this morning like I have been. But who's to say I can't just go tonight after work? Why had I convinced myself that I will only feel successful if I go at 7 every morning? I can make going to the gym a ritual, but that doesn't mean it needs to be a routine. Going to the gym at any time of the day will help me to feel accomplished.

That being said, some of us find comfort in a routine. You can plan your day out and know what you will be doing at different times of the day. However, my life is so incredibly unpredictable, which has led to me becoming frustrated if I plan something out and it doesn't go how I had hoped. On top of that, I have fought with myself and convinced myself that having a routine is important, despite the fact that I KNOW in my heart I despise routine. I am definitely a more spontaneous soul. I don't enjoy having my life planned out to the minute and trying to meet those expectations I set for myself every day. That's why I have created rituals- not routines. I want to exercise, work on my projects, meditate, and do a little homework every day. That doesn't mean I need to do all of that at specific times every day. As long as I fit it into my schedule, I'll feel great! Don't beat yourself up over not having a routine, especially if you know that developing a routine is not right for you. Have rituals instead!

One final note that is somewhat related- do the things your heart is yearning to do, despite the fact it may be out of the ordinary or a little spontaneous. Since I got my apartment, I wanted to put my bed by these big windows near my front door. However, there was a bedroom for that. It seemed logical to me to put my desk by the windows and put my bed in the bedroom. Yesterday, however, I was decorating for fall and decided to say screw it. I live here, this is my apartment, and I'm putting my bed by the big windows. So that is what I did, and I absolutely love it. Everything you do does not have to make sense by societal standards. My 'bedroom' is now my office, I don't want to work out every morning routinely, and not everything I do has to be perfectly structured and make sense. Make your own rules, try things out, and do what makes your heart happy.


Comments

  1. Hello Destiny. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interst in writing and in love with travelling and helping others and being a light to the people. Your bold post is very thoughtful and encouraging. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe tob e encouraged stengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs int his great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love ot have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will be the light to the people in the darkness and an opportunity to travel as you love to travel and help those who are need and as you like writing will have live stories of the life in the slums of Mumbai. You will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. Though you have not visited this blog for almost half a year yet I am writing to you and even if it is late but the opportunity will always available for you. God;s richest blessings on you your famly and friends as well as a blessed and a Christ centered new year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learn to Live for Yourself

One of the most difficult lessons I have had to learn is that I will never be 100% happy if I live according to other’s dreams and desires. I have spent a majority of my life working towards a goal that was not mine and helping others piece together their own lives and happiness. I have found it difficult to identify what it is that I want and have hardly spent any time developing my own goals and dreams. These past couple months have been full of self-reflection and growth for me, and I have discovered that you have to start living for yourself. You have to stop living your life for other people. You cannot build your life around the desires of others and expect to flourish. Develop a sense of self and dive into your own goals and dreams. What would you set out to do if no one else’s opinion or thoughts mattered? Where would you be if you started doing everything you had ever wanted to do regardless of those around you? What’s holding you back from being everything you want to be?

Stop Putting it Off

I've discovered that we all tend to put things off with the hopes that we will have more time or motivation to do them later. Similarly, we do not partake in all of the fun activities and adventures we would like to because we fear we don't have enough money or time to deviate from our work and responsibilities. We push things to the future, both exciting and mundane, expecting that there will come a day in which we eventually fulfill these tasks and dreams. The truth is- and it's a cliche one- we might not get to see tomorrow, next week, or next month. Those things that you keep pushing to tomorrow, next week, or some other time in the future, may keep getting pushed until you don't have any days left. Now, I could be referring to chores and work, and things people typically aren't too excited about. Maybe you've heard the rule that if it takes less than five minutes and can be done now, just go ahead and do it. We should all stop procrastinating, blah blah b