Skip to main content

Learn to Live for Yourself

One of the most difficult lessons I have had to learn is that I will never be 100% happy if I live according to other’s dreams and desires. I have spent a majority of my life working towards a goal that was not mine and helping others piece together their own lives and happiness. I have found it difficult to identify what it is that I want and have hardly spent any time developing my own goals and dreams. These past couple months have been full of self-reflection and growth for me, and I have discovered that you have to start living for yourself.
You have to stop living your life for other people. You cannot build your life around the desires of others and expect to flourish. Develop a sense of self and dive into your own goals and dreams. What would you set out to do if no one else’s opinion or thoughts mattered? Where would you be if you started doing everything you had ever wanted to do regardless of those around you? What’s holding you back from being everything you want to be? The beautiful truth is that you can set out on your own journey next week, tomorrow, or even today. Nothing is holding you back from pursuing everything in this world that makes you happy. If something does seem to be hindering your progression or if there is an obstacle in your path, start developing a plan. Sit down and assess what it is you want out of this life and start formulating a plan to get where you want. It is unbelievably freeing to realize that the only thing holding you back is yourself.
You may be afraid that you’ll lose friends, supporters, or even family. But listen, I promise you that they are worth losing if they don’t support you endlessly and want what is best for you. Those who truly care about you and want to see you blossom and grow will stick by your side. And if you set out on your quest to find happiness and fulfillment alone, you’ll find supporters along the way. You’re hearing this from someone who has lost nearly everyone, even people I never thought would abandon me. But I’m stronger for it, and you will be too. I’m happier now that I am pursuing a life that I’ve envisioned for myself and am actively working towards my goals, even though it feels as though I’m in this all alone sometimes. I promise it is not worth having a bunch of friends and phony supporters, as they will only hinder your progress and hold you back. And you will let them. Stand up for yourself and do what makes you happy! Life is too short, man.
Take this as your sign. Start today. Really look into that place you want to move to and start figuring out how you can make it happen. Look into different lifestyles and start making small changes. Start a savings account. Take the first step. Along the way, don’t forget to do the little things that bring you joy. You’ll regret it if you don’t. Rearrange your room. Change up your hair. Plan that vacation. Eat at your favorite restaurant. Spend time with the person that sets your soul on fire. Please, do not settle for a life that you are not in love with. Start doing everything in the world that brings a smile to your face and makes you excited for a new day. Along the way, you’ll fall in love with yourself and your life and everything will fall into place.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Routine vs Ritual- How to Be Spontaneous and Stable

Many of us have an idea in our heads of what 'having your life together' looks like. That being said, many of us also think that having a good routine, and sticking to it, is necessary to feel like you have it all together. This is something I have struggled with greatly, as I have discovered I am not too fond of routine. I have gone through trial and error, creating and breaking several different routines that were supposed to help me 'get my life together'. What I've discovered lately is that having a routine is not necessary- it's having rituals that really matters. You can have rituals without enforcing them in a strict routine. For example, I wanted to make a routine of going to the gym. Therefore, last week, I woke up early and went to the gym at the same time all week. It helped me to feel accomplished, but I quickly got tired of it and didn't want to go this morning like I have been. But who's to say I can't just go tonight after work? Why

Stop Putting it Off

I've discovered that we all tend to put things off with the hopes that we will have more time or motivation to do them later. Similarly, we do not partake in all of the fun activities and adventures we would like to because we fear we don't have enough money or time to deviate from our work and responsibilities. We push things to the future, both exciting and mundane, expecting that there will come a day in which we eventually fulfill these tasks and dreams. The truth is- and it's a cliche one- we might not get to see tomorrow, next week, or next month. Those things that you keep pushing to tomorrow, next week, or some other time in the future, may keep getting pushed until you don't have any days left. Now, I could be referring to chores and work, and things people typically aren't too excited about. Maybe you've heard the rule that if it takes less than five minutes and can be done now, just go ahead and do it. We should all stop procrastinating, blah blah b